Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My Latest over at Crafting a Green World: Luminaries and Luminaries (and Luminaries and Luminaries and Luminaries and...)

a post about the Boo bottle luminaries found in InstaCraft







I have to say that the kids loved making these luminaries. LOVED. THEM. It takes a little more prep work than many of our kids' crafts, since you have to soak the labels off of old glass jars and scrub them clean before they can be used, but seriously, the girls couldn't have been more content working on these, and couldn't be happier watching them glow with candlelight every night. 

I need to do a little more soaking and scrubbing, but I plan to set aside a collection of glass jars, easily accessible, just for at-leisure luminary-making. I'm betting the scraps from our rolled beeswax candles would look pretty amazing here, and I've never tried the watercolor + olive oil luminary craft...

2 comments:

Tina said...

I bet those would look pretty with thin scraps of fabric as well.

Getting the labels off is the worst part...

julie said...

Ooh, I bet they WOULD look pretty with fabric! I'm also thinking beeswax-coated leaves would look so nice.

I have a trick for getting labels off that's actually super easy, but for us it also involves clearing the sink of dirty dishes and scrubbing it out so that we have a large enough space for it, so actually it's a giant pain in the butt, I guess. I try to save up my glass bottles that I want to keep and only do it as rarely as I can get away with.