Sunday, August 11, 2024

Tutorial: Quilt as You Go Scrappy Mini Quilt Blocks

 I originally posted this tutorial over at Crafting a Green World.

From bookmarks to coasters to these little guys, my quilt as you go obsession continues!


These quilt as you go mini quilt blocks are a terrific way to use up fabric scraps, and the finished quilt blocks are endlessly useful in all sorts of ways. I like to use them to sew zippered pouches, stitched coasters, and quilted postcards, in particular, but I have my eye on a few more projects they’d look beautiful in.

So get out that basket of fabric scraps, because here’s how to some mini quilt blocks the quilt as you go way!

Materials

You will need:

  • interfacing. I don’t usually like to buy proper interfacing, instead subbing in whatever scrap fabrics I’ve already got squirreled away. Eco-fi recycled polyester felt, for instance, makes an excellent backing for my quilt as you go bookmarks, and scrap batting works really well in my quilted coasters. But because I don’t always know how I’m going to use these particular quilt as you go blocks when I make them, I do like to stitch them to fusible interfacing. Some of my favorite projects work better with fusible interfacing, so this way, these blocks are all ready to go!
  • fabric scraps. Even the teeny-tiny ones work for this project! My seams for this particular quilting project are generally .25″, so any scrap that’s at least .5″ along one side can be successfully incorporated.
  • seam roller. You can always finger-press your seams, but I really like this handy little tool for pressing my seams sans heat.
  • measuring, cutting, and sewing tools. I mostly use a small pair of sharp fabric scissors, but I do use a quilting ruler, cutting mat, and rotary cutter to measure the interfacing and trim the finished block.

Step 1: Measure and cut interfacing to the size of the quilt block.


The interfacing is what will determine the size of your quilt block, so cut it to your preferred finished size. I’ve got a specific project in mind for these mini quilt blocks, so I cut my interfacing to 5″x7″.

Step 2: Stitch the first piece.


Your ultimate goal will be to quilt these pieces as you go without leaving any raw edges visible on the front of the quilt block. To that end, I like to start somewhere near the center of these mini quilt blocks, and piece around that center point at least for a little while.

Because I want to preserve the ability to fuse this quilt block to my future project, I’m also keeping the fusible side of the interfacing on the wrong side, and stitching my quilt block to the non-fusible side.

With right sides together, stitch down one side of your first scrap piece. Aim for a piece that goes off the edge of the interfacing, as pictured above.


Fold the piece over so the right side is up, then use the seam roller to press it. If you’re not using a fusible interfacing as a base, feel free to iron, but I don’t want to fuse this piece to my cutting mat!

Step 2: Continue to add pieces, quilting as you go.


Place the second piece you want to sew right side down, lined up with one of the edges of the previous piece. Again, the ideal placement of this piece will extend off the edge of the interfacing.

Stitch down that straight seam, then fold over and press the seam flat.


As you continue to fill up this space, remember not to leave any raw edges. This becomes trickier after a while, and so I keep a few larger scraps in reserve for those times that I need to stitch a piece that goes from end to end across my block.


Notice from these photos that you don’t always have to line up your new piece at the edge of an existing piece. Since I’m doing this project mainly for scrap-busting, I also don’t trim away that extra fabric underneath the seam, even if I’ve stitched my new piece far back from the edge and I have quite a lot of it. That excess fabric can stay right there inside the quilt block forever, thank you very much!

That method does add bulk, though, so keep that in mind for your own project.

Step 3: Trim the quilt block to size.


This whole time, I’ve been encouraging you to run your fabric scraps off the edge of the interfacing to make sure they go all the way and you don’t leave any raw edges. But when you’ve completely finished filling up your quilt block, turn it over and trim the block to be even with the interfacing.


These mini quilt blocks are so quick and easy to make, and I love how they tend to naturally complement each other, since I incorporate many of the same scraps into multiple blocks.

And they’re perfect for so many projects! If you make your template 2″x6″, you can easily sew bookmarks. If your quilt block is 4″x4″ or 5″x5″, you can turn these into coasters.

And if your quilt block is 5″x7″, you can make the postcards I’ll show you how complete next week!

P.S. Want to follow along with my craft projects, books I'm reading, dog-walking mishaps, confrontations with gross men, and other various adventures on the daily? Find me on my Craft Knife Facebook page!

No comments: