Tuesday, March 16, 2010

But How Do You Feel?

Last week's post-storytime craft at the public library was this odd little guy:You were supposed to take a paper plate (I'm horrified, by the way, at the HUGE number of paper plate crafts in the world) and draw a face on it. Then you get a bunch of pictures that show different feelings and you glue them around the edges of the paper plate. Then you punch a hole in the arrow, put a brad through the hole, attach the brad to the paper plate, and fasted it on the back side. THEN you punch two holes in the edge of the paper plate and tie a string on it so that you can wear the whole contraption around your neck.

I am still not in love with these gimmicky children's craft activities, despite your resounding assurances of their developmental solidity. But wow, the girlies adore them. Sydney actually wore her plate around her neck for part of the day, and Willow plays with her plate nearly daily, moving the arrow around to the different feelings and then saying, "I'm angry!" in an angry voice or "I'm sad!" in a sad voice, etc.

It does have me rather interested each week, though, in what that week's craft will be, and in what new and specific way it might horrify me. Today my guess is that we'll do something with pipe cleaners, toilet paper tubes, markers, and circle stickers...

4 comments:

cake said...

don't dis the pipe cleaner!

julie said...

I was way off, anyway--it was popsicle sticks, ribbon, construction paper shamrocks, sequins, and of course markers and glue.

We haven't really done much pipe cleaner crafting, but I hear good things about them.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking a paper plate emotion monitor may not be such a bad thing. I can think of some specific instances when I would prefer for my husband and offspring to just read a monitor instead of speaking to me...

julie said...

I'm not sure if my paper plate emotions monitor would be suitable for public consumption. My emotions involve a lot of curse words in my head.