Friday, April 15, 2011

Hot-Process Soap Success

I let my first batch of hot-process soap cure for a couple of weeks, just to be on the safe side since it was my first batch. We've all had a chance to try it out at the sink and in the shower by now, however, and the decision is unanimous....

We love it!!!
 
It's quite a bit softer than I thought it would be--I don't know if that's because it could stand to be cured for a while longer, or because of my recipe. Even going through the soap at a bar a week, though, each homemade bar is still cheaper than the cheapest soap at the store, and the ingredients are completely natural, AND it smells delightfully of cinnamon and geranium essential oils, with just a touch of lavender.

In other news, Matt has been gone for most of the week as part of the jury for a high-profile local trial, the murder of an IU assistant professor. It was hard, and upsetting, and stressful, both for Matt to be there and for me to be at home and not know when he's coming home, and to hear people on both sides trash-talking what the jury would supposedly do and think. The jury deliberated for twelve hours, they did their job well and returned a fair verdict, and then they went home to their worried families. Thank goodness it's over.

5 comments:

Teresa Robeson said...

Congrats on your soap success! Natural is wonderful, but if you ever want some fragrance oils, I've got a few small bottles that you can have. I just don't care for the particular scents too much.

Glad the trial is done and Matt's home!

Julie said...

Wow, you've got me interested . . .

Teresa Robeson said...

The scents are Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Spice and Hollyberry. I might have a couple more of something else to give you if you're interested. These are from Brambleberry and have no pthalates.

julie said...

Oooh, pumpkin-y pumpkin! Heck, yeah, I want to try those out! I already know that I def want to make soap for Christmas presents this year, so that would be perfect.

Teresa Robeson said...

Julie, sorry...was off blogging for a month. I have to get together with "Cake" soon and can get them to her to give to you.