Sunday, October 24, 2010

Tutorial: Camera Strap Cover

I had a really cute intro to this, but when I got up a minute ago to put on my pajamas and pour the last layer of melted crayon on top of some candy corn crayons that I'm making, Sydney's cat Gracie came and rolled all over my keyboard. Not only did she delete my blog post, but she also then typed in qwekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk on top of it so that my draft saved that way.

Anyway, pretend that there's a really cute intro right here.

This camera strap cover is the third iteration of this particular project, and I feel that I've finally nailed it. The cover is as long as the camera strap, but when you want to cinch the strap tighter, as I wear mine, then the cover will nicely ruffle along the entire length, also adding some padding so that you don't have to sew in bulky interfacing. The cover is also pieced from two pieces of fabric, because sewing two side seams keeps the cover lined up better with the camera strap that just one seam does.

To make a camera strap cover, you will need:
  • fabric. I used vintage quilting cotton for my strap, but I had really wanted to use flannel, and I bet that fleece would work, too, or even felt. Choose a small, busy print.
  • rotary cutter, ruler, and self-healing cutting mat
  • sewing machine with thread that matches your fabric.
1. Measure your camera strap, then cut two identical pieces of fabric. Each piece of fabric will have the length of the camera strap length + 1", and the width of the camera strap width + 1", also:
2. Put the two pieces of fabric right sides together, then sew all the way down one long side:
3. Hem each short end:
4. With right sides together, sew down the other long side, to form yourself a nice, long tube.

5. Turn this tube right side out.

6. To put it on the camera, unfeed the camera strap from the camera, slide the cover onto it, then hook the strap back up to your camera. After you've adjusted the strap length, your new strap+cover will look something like this:
But this, I think, is how you'll generally see it:
Insert really cute concluding thoughts here.

No comments: