Sunday, May 30, 2010

Postcards from the Trip

Because Momma is cheap.

And because we like to make art.

Because it's homeschooling in geography.

Sharpie Fine-Tip Permanent Marker, 24-Pack Assorted ColorsAnd because gift shops don't usually sell postcards of our favorite weird stuff that we saw, or the random imaginary stuff that we thought about.

Hence our DIY postcards, drawn in fine-point Sharpie on Bristol board that I cut to USPS standard postcard sizes. Thus Sydney was able to draw a Gateway Arch with sunflowers growing almost up to its top, a sight that I'd REALLY like to see in real life:
And Willow was able to send her impressions of the Real Pirates exhibit at the St. Louis Science Center back to one of her little playmates, who she knows would enjoy the idea of the swordplay:
I sent Matt a postcard of the Gateway Arch on which I diagrammed the location of all the mean/nice people and weird overheard conversations that I encountered--it wasn't as good as being able to poke him and hiss, "Oh, my God! Look over there!", but it was close.

One night, when we were working at the dining room table in my parents' house, I asked the girls to draw a postcard of their absolute favorite thing from the past couple of days of travel that we'd just finished. Here's Sydney's postcard:
It's the hotel pool, of course.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I'm sorry I missed you when you were in the Fort. I was looking forward to meeting the little ones (yeah, to tell them embarassing stories about mom), but you caught me at a time when I had dental and doctor appts.

Maybe the next time. Plus I think the girls would love the woods we have here by the creek.

Anonymous said...

Must be a kid thing: the hotel pool is usually my boys' fav thing on any trips.

cake said...

so much better than store bought post cards! i love them. i need to do this on our next trip.

julie said...

We did still end up buying some postcards, because the Kentucky Horse Park's postcards are all of horses!

We had a good run of indoor swimming pools on this trip. Sometimes the pools are too cold or gross or whatever, but this time? Perfect, every one.

Def next time, Chris. AND I'll dig out my old high school photos!