Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pumpkin Pounding and Haunted Houses: A Children's Halloween Party

Some jack-o-lantern oranges, with grapes and apples inside:
Never make these, by the way--they're fiddly and it's nigh on impossible to get the orange flesh out of the peel without having a nervous breakdown. It was much better when I got frustrated and asked the girls to just draw jack-o-lantern faces on whole oranges, which we later peeled and segmented like normal.

Pumpkin-carrot muffins baked in an autumn-themed silicone muffin mold:

I doubled a pumpkin-carrot muffin recipe I found at Daily Unadventures of Cooking, only I used whole eggs instead of egg whites, which I have deemed fiddly. I wasn't sure if I liked these right after I made them--I can always taste the baking powder in the stuff I bake, it seems, even if I've actually followed the recipe--but I had them again for breakfast this morning and they're delicious.

Making Halloween houses (or gardens, or adventure places, or obstacle courses, depending on the child--more on that later):Making, very, very ELABORATE Halloween houses:
Then chilling out with a little light coloring:Pounding the heck out of an innocent pumpkin (more on that later, too):And then running off all that sugar over at the neighborhood playground:
Here's to a successful Halloween party and an early bedtime!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Your Aunt Vicki could peel half of the orange in one peel and never rip the skin. She would have two half round skins perfectly intact. I never figured out how she did that. You could have used her for your pumpkins with apples and grapes.

Katerina said...

Glad you liked the muffins. I admit when I made them I had a carton of egg whites on hand. I always feel wasteful (and fiddly!) when I have to separate them too. Unless it is for a meringue or something.

kirsten said...

those orange pumpkins are awesome!

we're throwing a little party this week, too - and my snack ideas are sorely lacking. if only for a theme-y silicon pan! That would solve my problem. But I think I'm too cheap and I'm sure hoping to not hit the store again before the big day...

p.s. the stormtrooper shirt is AWESOME. I have seen those stencils before and had the same thought about using them on shirts. And... have I done it yet? Heck no - but my 6yo turns 7 in a couple of weeks, so that might happen.

Anonymous said...

I so bow down to you for making those orange jack-o-lanterns!

julie said...

The orange jack-o-lanterns looked really cute, but my goodness, I will never make them again! If you're sucker enough to try, I will say 1) use kitchen scissors and an x-acto knife to cut the face and scallop the top and 2) don't harbor any expectations of using the orange flesh that you scoop out for anything else. I basically had to dig out all the flesh with a serrated melon baller and my fingers, and I was way too grossed out to reuse something that I'd had my hands that all over.

Abby said...

CURSES. wish i had been there.