Monday, October 14, 2024

I Read The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs Because I'm a Sucker for a Gossipy Paleontologist

My amateur paleontologist glory days!


The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost WorldThe Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World by Steve Brusatte
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In which I rediscover (for the hundred millionth time) that dinosaurs are awesome, and continue my journey to read everything ever written about them.

I was a Space Kid, not a Dinosaur Kid, so I didn’t actually get interested in dinosaurs until my older kid did, around the age of five or so. Let me tell you, you have not SEEN obsession until you’ve seen a five-year-old whose Special Interest is propped up, encouraged, and in every way indulged by a parent who’s just as obsessively taken it as her life’s mission to do such. The kid in question is now an adult doing oceanography on a research vessel in the South Pacific, and I’m still over here reading dinosaur books!

Allosaurus at age 5. I honestly can't remember if I scanned the picture backwards or if her reverse writing really was that extreme back then. She writes going the normal direction now!

So: dinosaurs. I most enjoy books written for the non-academic, and I MOST most enjoy books that mention the personalities involved, because I think it’s interesting to follow their research, look for their discoveries in the museums I visit, suss out any gossip about them… you know, the usual! So I liked all the name-dropping that Brusatte did, talking about his lifelong interest and work in paleontology, etc., nearly as much as I did the actual paleontology. Anyway, if you don’t at least minimally cyberstalk the other paleontologists that Brusatte mentions, how are you going to learn that Poland’s leading paleontologist, Grzegorz Niedzwiedzki, is high-key hot? “Steely face,” indeed, Brusatte!

I’m interested in the analytical work of paleontologists after they get home from the field, so I’m glad that Brusatte also talked about this quite a bit--probably so he could quietly be a bit braggy about his own contributions, but still. His contributions are pretty cool! I texted my other kid, who’s in college and worried that her Statistics class is too babyish, to tell her that Brusatte essentially uses statistics to make his dinosaur family trees and other cool dinosaur discoveries. She wasn’t that excited because she thinks dinosaurs are boring, but now she knows some more options!

We also get info about the historical paleontologists along with this history of dinosaurs. Although he doesn’t mention my favorite paleontologist, Mary Anning, which is fine because she didn’t actually find dinosaurs, he does briefly discuss my second-favorite period in paleontology, the Bone Wars.

checking out some of Mary Anning's best finds

What’s my favorite period, you say? The discovery of Sue and all the drama surrounding who got to own her!

Sue!

Oh, and he mentions my favorite non-dinosaur, the Sarcosuchus!

SuperCroc!

I also like hearing about the life and works of these paleontologists because they give me more tips and ideas for my own fossil hunting--that Riker Hill Fossil Site that Paul Olsen got national protection for is conveniently located in between the Thomas Edison National Historical Park (you’ve got to make advanced reservations for the house tour) and Morristown National Historical Park, and depending on how dirty you got fossil hunting, there’s a Medieval Times not too far away, either!

Also the Burpee Museum of Natural History in Rockford, Illinois, where I learned that I must go to see the most complete skeleton of a T. rex ever found. I’ve got extended family in Rockford, so I’ll be putting on my fake mustache and skulking around corners so I don’t have to small-talk, but I’ll be there!

And the Chicxulub Crater. I’ve actually been there before, but I have NOT been inside every single cenote yet, so obviously I have to go back.

I've been inside some of the cenotes, though!

I really appreciated the extensive author’s notes at the end of the book, with all the recommended reading I could want. I requested several more titles from the library, thanks to those notes, so I should be flush with dinosaur reading through the new year!

P. S. View all my reviews.

P.P.S. Want to follow along with my craft projects, books I'm reading, road trips to random little towns, looming mid-life crisis, and other various adventures on the daily? Find me on my Craft Knife Facebook page!

No comments: