Saturday, October 2, 2010

Willow Teaches Science: We're Lucky Air is Gaseous

Willow's Grandma Janie recently mailed her a copy of Science on a Shoestring, by Herb Strongin. The book contains loads of wonderful experiments that use really cheap and/or really readily available (circa 1970...I mean, mealworms???) materials. Will unwrapped it, flipped through it, picked out an experiment that she wanted to do, and, noticing that she seemed especially intrigued by the teacher's script offered in each lesson, I suggested that she be the teacher and I the student.

Will told me the supplies that she needed, we gathered them, and within ten minutes from the mailman leaving the book at our door, we were ready to roll. Here is Willow's first lesson, which will make you appreciate the wonderment that is a gaseous atmosphere:

I'm a little claustrophobic, so I'm gonna tell you right now that my nightmare tonight is going to be about being trapped in a solid atmosphere in which I cannot move or breathe.

And that's science.

1 comment:

Mama Squirrel said...

Thanks for the link! Have you tried sprouting birdseed yet?