Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Curtains to Tutu

Willow has started attending a dance class with the Windfall Dancers, a modern dance collective in our town. For her first class, she wore sweatpants and a comfy shirt, but all the other girls wore leotards and pink tutus and pink onesie-things. I was embarrased and told the instructor I didn't realize there was a dress code or I'd have dressed Willow appropriately (or rather, not have signed her up), but the instructor replied that there actually wasn't a dress code but that all the little girls (except for Willow) always seemed to just show up like that. Now, I've tried very hard all of Willow's life to avoid gendering her in a stereotypically feminine fashion, and I'm quite proud that she remains unconscious of things like princesses and tiaras and Barbie dolls, and there's no way in hell that I'm going to dress her like a pink ballerina for her creative movements for 3-5-year-olds dance class, but I also don't want her to feel deprived if she notices all the floaty little fairies in their frilly little tutus in her midst and wants a girly dance outfit herself. My solution? As follows:

Take the curtains that used to hang in the girls' room but do not anymore:

Add to them some hot pink and black tulle bought on sale at Joann's:

Visit this forum on Craftster for inspiration, spend some time with scissors on the rug with the girls, some more time tying knots in front of DVDs of season 7 of Little Tragedy on the Prairie Seasons 1 - 9 (9 Pack), and end up with...

...two awesomely happy little punk rock tutu girls.

No comments: