Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Perler Bead Business Cards

I had been procrastinating on making business cards so shamefully that I was actually sending packages out without business cards in them.

Rookie move, Pumpkin+Bear!

The problem is that making business cards can be a little (lot) boring, so every time I have to make a new batch I try to do something different with them, to make the process more fun. I've done plain business cards on the backs of old record albums, fabric-backed business cards, vintage paper-backed business cards, business cards with stitching on them, business cards with beads dangling from them, photo business cards...

Inspiration was a little hard to come by.

As I was cleaning out one of my desk drawers (my desk is woefully messy, by the way. Sharing space with my laptop at this moment are a couple of packages to be checked, several books to review, schoolwork to be collated, shipping supplies, lots of pleasure reading, my morning coffee, a list of library books that need to be read and returned, the children's letter from Santa from TWO YEARS AGO, etc. Sigh...), I found all the little Perler bead candies that Syd had made, originally for her candy-themed birthday party, but, of course, she made about three times the amount that she actually needed for favors. I had tossed them into my desk drawer, not knowing what else to do with them.

And just like that--inspiration!

I used a little piece of double-sided tape to stick each one on, so that you can take it off and use it as a charm for something else.

Perler bead sweets aren't terribly thematically appropriate for my etsy shop, but, oh, well--they're cute and they were fun to make and they used up some bits and bobs that I didn't know what else to do with.

And they'll only last me for about a month or so, so if you've got any cute ideas for handmade business cards, send them my way!

2 comments:

Tina said...

I love using up bits and bobs.

Have you tried the paper ring thing? http://www.upcycleddesignlab.com/2012/01/upcycled-business-card-rings.html

What about sticker paper (or recycled paper glued) on those flimsy magnets that people are always giving out?

business card book marks?

Old artwork into business cards?

Cover paper with paint then print your business cards over it (the kids can paint any kind of paper- the messier the better)?

That's all my broken brain can come up with right now.

julie said...

I love these ideas! Business card bookmarks are a must-do!