Saturday, November 1, 2014

Eclipse Unseen

When the sunny morning of our fire station field trip turned into the partially cloudy afternoon of the kids' homeschool group's Halloween party and then into the completely overcast late afternoon of the partial solar eclipse, I was so, so bummed.

Hoping for a break in the clouds, the kids and I nevertheless spent the time of the eclipse over at the drive-in, hanging out with blankets, books, and eclipse glasses. That break never came, but fortunately, it's easy to keep oneself entertained at an empty drive-in movie theater:
Ring around the Rosie

Red Light, Green Light
and reading (always)
I'm still researching our upcoming astronomy unit, but I'm really excited about beginning it this winter--the cold air of winter makes the night skies clearer, and the longer nights makes for plenty of time to stargaze before bedtime!

And as far as I'm concerned, it's not too early to start gearing up for our next total solar eclipse in 2017!

3 comments:

Tina said...

I love that Syd wears her outfit from the fashion show out and about!

We totally spaced the eclipse as we were driving Gramma to the train station.

julie said...

I think you'll have a better view of the 2017 solar eclipse than we will!

I'm already considering road tripping to a better viewing location...

Tina said...

We probably won't be here in 2017, but if our location has better visibility (wherever we end up) you are welcome to stop by for a solar eclipse visit!